Happy Monday everyone! The 24HOP and VOS races went wonderfully and I’m thrilled for all of you. Hopefully everyone is recovering and getting ready to roll once again.
Please read the ENTIRE post!
I wanted to touch base again on academic check-ins, and clarify anything that might be confusing.
We are trying to:
- Give you support in academics. This can be one-on-one help, organizing group study sessions, planning interesting talks or just providing a space you can work in.
- Get to know you! We want to know more about you off the bike and how we can help you out, if that’s what works for you.
- Give you a chance to give us feedback. We’re doing Academic Hours for your benefit, so we really need to hear your feedback and learn what we should put effort into and what we should tweak.
- Have you come down so you can see what’s available to you!
We are NOT trying to:
- Micromanage your grades.
- Nitpick your notes.
- Make you feel like grades and GPA are the most important part of academics (newsflash: THEY AREN’T).
- Force you to come every week. If you come 2x per semester and that’s good for you, no problem.
So for those reasons, it is still MANDATORY (I’m typing in all capitals to entice your eyes over here) to come to Academic Hours TWO times EACH semester. However, I realize that Monday and Friday don’t work for everyone. We chose those days because you wouldn’t have practice the same day, but I know that some people live far away or have other reasons it is difficult to come.
The good news is that all you have to do is communicate with us about what would work better for you and we are happy to arrange a different day and time! If you have any reason to communicate with us about coming in, please do so!
Here’s where we come back to the commitments you made in your team contract. EG coaches and staff have agreed that the attendance sheet kept for academic hours is going to be taken into account when participation in the upcoming Cactus Cup, Whiskey Off-Road and San Dimas races is determined. In order to go to those events, each rider needs to come in at least ONCE before them (which will count towards your 2 attendances this semester) and chat with us about how school is going and bring proof that your grades are where they need to be to take that time away from school.
Hours: regularly on Monday from 4:30pm – 6:30pm, Friday from 4:00pm – 6:00pm. Contact us for alternate options. Sign up for academic check-in times through this doodle poll:
THANK YOU to everyone that has already come in or chatted with us about how we’re doing and given us food for thought! It is greatly appreciated and we look forward to more of it.