Folks, it’s crunch time. This is a homework assignment. Please have written answers to the following two questions when you arrive at the clubhouse on Saturday morning. At the event on Sunday afternoon, we will have sponsors reading your answers to these questions. Below are the two questions. Please answer each of them with a statement that will take 20-30 seconds to read.
Question 1: What does being on El Grupo mean to you? How is it significant?
Question 2 for everybody but seniors: Looking forward, what is a goal you wish to accomplish during your time on the team?
Question 2 for seniors: Looking back, what’s one of the best experiences you’ve had as a part of this program?
Things to keep in mind. One answer to each question will be read per group of riders. Rider groups are based mostly on your age. You can find your group below. As you answer these questions, think broadly about friendship, community, and life skills- NOT bike racing!
4th, 6th-7th Grade- Damiano, Axel, Daniel, Elliot, Maddie Mogan, Reece, Thomas
8th Grade- Jesus, Caden J., Estevan, Kaiden K., Leonardo, Thorsten, Camilla
Lads 1- Ben, Oliver, Zeke, Jack, Caleb, Nathaniel
Ladies 1- Brayden, Maddy Mitchell, Eve, Sarah
Lads 2- Izaac, Ethan S., Sam, Max, Myles, Quinn
Ladies 2- Kaileen, Izzie, Susie
Seniors- Dillon, Rogan, Ana, Madison, Ethan O., Mostyn
You may work together in your group. We will be meeting in your groups to review/refine your answers on Saturday before you leave the clubhouse, so don’t leave right away. We will also explain in greater detail to you how the event will unfold. If you come prepared with the questions already answered, this will go very quickly.
In the words of Ru Paul… Good luck. And don’t mess it up.
-From Max on Ben’s account.
What about those of us racing tomorrow? When’s will we go over that stuff?
Camilla, for those racing tomorrow, or unable to make the ride, give your answers to the questions to Ignacio OR post them on the blog. You won’t personally have to answer the questions that you come up with, they will be repeated to the crowd of supporters by a sponsor. If you have any more questions, Ignacio, Max, or I are happy to help.
Camilla, for those racing tomorrow, or unable to make the ride, give your answers to the questions to Ignacio OR post them on the blog. You won’t personally have to answer the questions that you come up with, they will be
repeated by sponsors at the event. If you have any questions, please ask Ignacio, Max, or I.
1. El Grupo means a lot to me because it’s where all my closests friends are, and it’s were I get to hang out with all my friends and participate in an awesome sport with them.
2. El Grupo has already help me to become more confident in my regular life, and I hope to continue becoming more confident in school and everyday life.
1. Being on el Grupo means alot to me because it is a team with a bunch of people who are around my age who like to hang out and ride bikes. It is also a place were I learn from my amazing coaches and peers to be responsible, caring and part of a team.
2. Going forward with the team there are many things I want to accomplish, one of the main things I want to accomplish is finding friends that I will be aquainted with for the rest of my life.
1. Being a part of El grupo means alot to me because it is a team with a bunch of people around my age who like to hang out and ride bikes. It is also a place where I learn from my amazing coaches and peers how to be responsible, caring and part of a team.
2. Going forward on the team there are many things I want to accomplish, one of the main things I want to accomplish is making friends that I will be aquainted with for a long time.
1. El Grupo means so much to me, mostly because it’s my support system in everything. I have all of my closest and best friends here, who support me through any social and emotional problems that I have to deal with. But I also have an incredible amout of support from all of my coaches. From struggling in school, to finding a fix for pains in my back, all the way to finding comfort after loosing a family memeber, there has never been a moment that I haven’t known that I can talk and get help from the people who support me.
2. Before I leave the team, I want to push myself to do my very best possible. When I first joined the team, I constantly told myself that I wasn’t able to do something, or doubted my capabilities. Though I have improved drastically, and have reached achievements that I never would have thought possible, there is always room to grow. By the time I leave, I want to be able to trust myself to push myself to be the best I can be, both in and off the bike.
1. El Grupo means so much to me because it gives me something to look up to. I see all the amazing coaches and riders beside me and it gives me a goal for outside of school, so that I can work towards something that actually means something to me.
And after I am able to reach a goal on the team, I can then apply me knowledge about that I other aspects of my life, such as family life or school life.
2. One goal that I want to reach before I leave the team is that I want to learn to push myself even further or gain more confidence than before because it means that I will be able to not only succeed today, in my present life, but also four or five years in the future, when I’m in college, or twenty years in the future, when I hopefully have a job. I will be able to apply what I’ve learned on the team to everything all around me.
1. El Grupo means so much to me because it gives me a constant in my life. if I have a bad day at school or I get in an argument with my family I always know that I can go out on a ride and that is the one place where I can control my life. I don’t have any teachers telling me to do something (Yes I know that I have coaches but that’s different), And I don’t have my mom on my back about something. I can just be free to do whatever I want. This feeling of control is amazing because if you’re the strongest in the group then everyone knows you are in control, whereas if you do well anywhere else in life everyone else tries to silence that in order to make everyone else not feel bad.
2. one goal that I have going forward is going as far as I can go in cycling with my level of talent. I don’t actually know how far that is but if I can get as far as I can then I will be able to live with myself knowing that I did everything in my power to follow my dream
El Grupo is important to me because I get to ride my bike and hangout with my friends. El Grupo is significant because it feels like family.
My goal is to learn mental toughness and the discipline to achieve all my goals in life. To be able to work through difficult situations in life and to know I have the confidence to push through.
Being on el grupo is like having a second family that can actually. agree on something and is always pushing you to get better. I would not trade this for anything even though Ignacio and Daniela can scare me at times, I feel very lucky to have a chance to be on el grupo.