Helping a new generation to learn to love all things about cycling!
El Grupito, for youth ages 8 – 12, provides a valuable framework for teaching how to ride safely, encouraging youth to develop their abilities, and how to have fun on a bike! If you are interested in riding with Grupito, please sign up here to be notified when we hold tryouts. Read the information below first though, to make sure it will be a good fit for you.
Things to Know:
- Grupito has a Fall and Spring Season. Youth can participate in one or both.
- Practices are Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. with additional weekend excursions (1-2 per month).
- Practice rides start and end at the Clubhouse. Our destinations vary.
- Drop off riders between 4:00 and 4:20 p.m. Rides leaves promptly at 4:30 p.m.
- We try to get back by 6:00 p.m. for pick up.
- Goals: Be comfortable on the bike, learn bike safety, and enjoy being with friends.
- Tuition per season is $400 per rider. Financial assistance and sibling discounts are available.
- We can provide gear and a bike if needed.
- All staff are CPR certified or are pending training within 2021. Parents are provided with the coach’s contact information.
- Snacks are provided, but please send something with your rider if he/she has dietary restrictions.
- Parents are invited to ride during weekend excursions.
What you need to join El Grupito: Coachability, enthusiasm, and a willingness to try new things.
Riders should also know at least 80% of the following before joining:
- Brake when needed
- Stand up on your pedals
- Start by not using feet
- Go downstairs
- Ride with one hand
- Pick up a water bottle and drink
- Signal turns
- Comfortable with space
- Comfortable riding on different surfaces (streets, trails, loose gravel)
- Ride downhill standing on pedals
- Eyes forward
Scholarships and tuition discounts are available for qualifying families. Please click here to for information (PDF) about the guidelines and email us for details. For other questions about the program please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
El Grupito started as a pilot program in the Fall of 2014 with generous support from: